"Tourism presents both opportunities and challenges for gender equality and women's empowerment." - United Nation World Tourism Organization (2010)
Women in Tourism Indonesia is the first platform in Indonesia that embraces women who participate in the tourism industry by spreading awareness that 'they matter'. We are willing to share our knowledge and experience with Indonesia women who take roles in the tourism industry. Our vision is to promote women's participation through better tourism work. We would like to embrace women who involve in the tourism industry—small, medium, big enterprises are included.
Our president, Joko Widodo, in 2017 recognized tourism as one of the leading sectors in Indonesia. In these past years, tourism has been creating opportunities and jobs for society. However, society in the industry often offers inequality for women that resulted in underpaid and undervalued. Given this, we realized that the role of women should be more appreciated and valued based on their capabilities, not the gender that they inherit. This issue is already acknowledged by the United Nations (UN) in their Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that include Gender Equality as their concern. Consequently, Women in Tourism Indonesia (WTID) would like to embody their goal and also vocalize women's worth by spreading awareness and creating space for them to share their knowledge and experience.
Women in Tourism Indonesia (WTID) aspires to promote gender equality that is in consonance with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and inspire to raise public awareness about the importance of women participation in Indonesia's tourism sector.
- WTID supports women participation and helps to campaign the importance of gender equality in Indonesia's tourism sector
- Promoting gender equality, awareness, and action to public
- Supporting Indonesian women in tourism sector to opine, network, and share their experience
- Advocating Indonesian women in tourism industry who deal with gender inequality
- Promoting Indonesian women's innovative creation as creative economy local products